Saturday, November 24, 2012

DIY Toy Bin

These were so much fun to make. My son's turned out so good that I had to refurbish my daughter's plain Jane toy bin.

REFURBISHED DIY TOY BINS

Materials Needed:
-Toy Bin (can be an el cheapo one from a yard sale)
-Paint (I used Behr interior paint, but you can use acrylic paint from the craft store too)
-Stencils (for letters...optional)
-Mod Podge
-Fabric or Scrapbook paper (I used scrapbook paper on both of mine)
-Foam brush (to apply Mod Podge)

How to:
1. First, wipe down bin with damp cloth and let dry
2. Paint box (i.e. this could be spray paint, acrylic paint, or regular interior paint). I used extra Behr interior paint left over in our house and used a roller and paint brush.
3. Next, align fabric/paper on top of bin/cover and cut to necessary size.
4. Apply two coats of Mod Podge onto top of cover (letting each coat dry before applying the next...wait time around 15-20 minutes).
5. Apply letters (optional). I actually printed out letters I liked from the computer and hand painted them, then Mod Podged them to the toy bins. This turned out REALLY nice on Izzy's, but kind of so-so on Clarke's. If I had to do it again I would use a stencil or pre-cut letters and Mod Podge them.







No comments:

Post a Comment